Thursday, September 17, 2009

Attitude is a Choice

In my line of work I tend to hear more negatives from people than positives - FAR more. People don't make an appointment with me just to tell me how happy they are or how great things are going. More often than not it's an obligatory "Hello," close the door and let the complaining begin.

That's why I'm here, so I have no problem with that. The danger would be to assume, then, that every person you encounter is that unhappy, troubled, miserable. They're not. There are people who are actually happy with their life - really - and I count myself among them. Is my life perfect? NO. Do I have everything I want? NO. But those intrapersonal observations don't have to be an obstacle to my decision to be happy. And I do think happiness is a choice.

"As Good as it Gets" was on this afternoon and this scene really got me thinking...



There are people with good stories, happy stories, "good times, noodle salad." Even if they don't find their way on to my calendar, I choose to believe they are the majority.

My happiness is a choice. I've had my share of trials in life - more than most, perhaps - but why would I let that dictate my attitude?

Objectifying issues of emotional response are certainly more natural to some personality types over others, but it's a learned behavior... a choice. I think of that cliche "fake it 'til you make it." The next time you find your negativity from a problem issue spilling over into you attitude in general, make a deliberate choice to be in a good mood. You'll be amazed how contagious it can be and much that can improve your ability to solve the original problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment